Thursday, February 25, 2010

Invincible

The things I'm afraid of secretly thrill me.  Although I'm usually too afraid of them to realize this.  Only with the advent of spring does this little secret appear from time to time through the mist, making my heart pound with the knowledge that I really am invincible.  There is really nothing so satisfying as to absolutely squash adversity underfoot with a sneer.


It is only by going down into the abyss 
that we recover the treasures of life.  
Where you stumble there lies your treasure.  
The very cave you are afraid to enter 
turns out to be the source of 
what your are looking for.
~Joseph Campbell~

5 comments:

  1. hope you always feel that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too. It feels almost dangerous to say it out loud like that. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. The things I'm afraid of secretly thrill me. Although I'm usually too afraid of them to realize this.

    think this is a common experience. It has certainly been true for me. Good post and a fine blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently watched a news clip about the fellow who walked the tightrope between the two World Trade Centers in the 1970s. He said that the only time he felt the most alive was when he was putting himself into the most danger. That sort of stuck with me. It's true, isn't it?

    The quote by Joseph Campbell is wonderful...!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dave, I think it certainly is but it's interesting that it doesn't seem to be the fear that causes the thrill. It's something more, I think. The taste of power maybe.

    And Jo, I've read about that man. And I can actually relate. Although this concept is turning out to be more complicated than I initially thought, now that I'm think about it more. : )

    ReplyDelete